Too much info stuffed into a brain with too little memory (I need a memory upgrade!).
Need to start documenting all the food remedies, food facts, illness facts etc I’ve picked up in the past 2 years growing up with little boy, otherwise I keep asking myself the same question – What to do ah?
Here’s my first file, since I need to share with Eve too.
What do I do when the little one coughs? with phlegm?
This is a simple food remedy recipe I learnt from a friend who’s also a Chinese physician, using 鸭梨 (ya pear) and 川贝 (fritillaria) powder. I like it because the little one also like it because it is sweet and taste like dessert. Doesn’t hurt that the hubby likes it too.
FOR: Cough with/without phlegm. Also to 润肺 (I see it as the general well-being of your lung).
- 1 Ya pear (DO NOT remove skin)
- 5 g 川贝 powder (can purchase in the powder form in TCM halls)
- Cut off the top of pear, and put aside.
- Remove core of the pear with spoon and add 川贝powder.
- Cover pear with its cut-top like a lid, secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Steam over low fire for 30 minutes, or until 川贝powder turns transparent
- Consume whole pear and 川贝, including the pear skin which is effective for treating cough.
- Treating coughs: Eat 1 pear a day for one week
- General health/ lungs: Eat 1 pear once a week
Read here for more info in Chinese. You can get this in NTUC if in Singapore, most supermarkets if in China. Unfortunately, I don’t find it as commonly available as other pears from China.